AH 251 The Museum Experience

This blog is our virtual classroom. An important part of any classroom experience is the sharing among each other to inspire, entertain and support one another. Post as often as you like but no less than once a week. Welcome! Jerry Nevins, Art Department, Albertus Magnus College, New Haven, CT

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Wadsworth Antheneum Museum of Art


Over the weekend my husband Dan and I took a trip out to Hartford to The Wadsworth Antheneum Museum of Art. I had decided to get up to Hartford first thing to avoid traffic and let me tell you, opening is the BEST time to go. We got to Hartford right at 10am and had the whole place to ourselves, it was great! We were also presently surprised to find that students get in for half price. So for those of you who haven’t gone yet defiantly let people know that you are with a class. We did however need to obtain a photo pass from the guard. Oh and bring pencils, NOT PENS for any notes you plan on taking!

The picture that I wanted to share with all of you from my first outing is Claude Monte's Nympeuse Water Lily.

I was so exited to see an original piece. I have loved his work from the time that I was a little girl. When I was growing up, there was a book that my mother used to read about a girl who visits France with her mother and walks through Monet’s gardens. It was called Linnea in Monet’s Garden. If you are a parent and want your children to develope a love for art, this is the book to do it.

I think that I am attracted to the softness of his work. The subtle cool colors have a very relaxing effect on the viewer. Quick fact… The reason Monet has no clear lines in any of his work is because is was severely near-sighted! Did you know that?

Ok Class this weekend I will be close to home. I’m headed to Yale. Stay tuned for more exiting adventures of this art enthusist and her culturally sheltered husband!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

Thanks for the great post Stephanie! Your tips on bring a pencil and the photo pass will help smooth the way for other students in the class. I'm looking forward to reading your paper.

I'm related to Claude Monet! My Grand father was a great nephew of Monet's aunt, Madame Lecadre... I haven't diagrammed out where that leaves me... Sadly Monet never left a single one of his paintings to anyone in the family.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home